Hip Replacement

 In 2004, I had my second hip replacement. The Monday of spring break, I went to the hospital, was operated on, stayed for 3-4 days, went home. On the Monday 2 weeks after the operation, I met my 9 am MWF class. I did not miss any classes.

44 students were in the classroom.  Every day prior to that Monday, some students were late.  But particularly that day 2 weeks after my hip operation and the first day back after spring break, 4 students were late.  After class, I asked each of them to stay. 

In the front of the empty classroom, I asked them why they were late.  

"My alarm clock didn't go off." 

"My roommate didn't wake me up."

"It's long walk to the classroom from my dorm room." 

"My puppy was my backup alarm, and he didn't wake me." 

So I said to to these 4 students, "Listen up. 2 weeks ago today I had major surgery; I had a hip replacement. If I can get my repaired ass to class on time, you can get your healthy ass to class on time. You are dismissed." 

They left the room; as they exited through the door, the door slowly shut.  Just before it clicked shut, I heard them break out laughing in the hallway. 

Those students were not late again. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Limericks Written for Gramps on the Occasion of his 90th birthday

North Dakota