Panama Canal

 There's not much to say. 

A pilot -- someone who was experienced and specializing in taking ships through difficult channels -- came aboard and navigated the ship.

I'm not sure about this, but I think the canal was owned by Panama but under permanent contract with the US. 

I remember that we had some problem; we had 2 engines on the ship and one of them temporarily gave out.  Whoever had the conn (IDK the source of this word, but it means command) had some difficulties.  I was managing the deck crew, and we had to use our fenders, our big bumpers (3-4 feet long, round 1.5 feet in diameter) to keep us bouncing off the side. We went through 3 locks -- I can't remember -- and there was some difference in height. In the middle of the Panama canal is a lake; ships had to go through 2 locks on one side and 1 lock on the other side. I think we had to go through 2 locks first to raise the ship to the lake then 1 lock to lower the ship to the Atlantic. 

As soon as we were going through the canal, we were aware there was some geologic uncertainty. I can't remember the name of the hill but we were afraid it was going to slide down into the canal. 

We were in Panama for a couple days. I went down town. I was wearing a short sleeve sportshirt and in the pocket was a pen of the old style -- one that you squeeze to fill with ink.  A couple of young urchins (10-11 years old) surrounded me suddenly; one of them had in his hand a magazine or folded newspaper hitting my chest -- they were after my pen. They used the paper to conceal the hand that grabbed my pen. As soon as they got my pen they ran. Perhaps I should have been scared but I wasn't. 

I bought fabric for Joan there. It was green with white embroidery. Nana made a skirt out of it.  I bought sportshirt for my dad which I have. I also bought an aquamarine gemstone. I kept the gemstone in my dresser drawer for over 50 years then had a pendant made for Joan with a singular small diamond.  The first time she wore it the clasp broke, and we lost it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Limericks Written for Gramps on the Occasion of his 90th birthday

North Dakota