Margie Buffet

2023

 I'm at the Women of Weld gathering at the Kawanhee Inn, chatting with Margie.  Her silver hair is styled like a flapper from the 1920's, and she's made up for a night on the town and looks fabulous. She's looking over my shoulder, eyeing each person walking in the door.  Her eyes light up when she sees a "strapping young man" walk in. Clutching her breast, she gasps, "Be still my heart!" 

I turn to see my dad. 

She leans in, "I had the biggest crush on him when we were kids..."  

2024

I see Margie at the post office and walk over to say hello.  She's in a light blue dress and chatting with me about the author night.  Then she sees my dad.  

"Oh, it's so HOT here!" She beams at him.  "I feel like I could take off all my clothes!" 

Dad looks like he's not sure what he's just heard.

She adds, "But that would not be a pretty sight." 

They both laugh, and Margie reaches over to him for a hug, holding his face close to hers. 

In the car, Dad says, "I'm speechless." 

The next day, we see Margie at the transfer station, Dad continues the conversation: 

"Margie, you still have your dress on."  

(Margie Buffet is not her real name.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Limericks Written for Gramps on the Occasion of his 90th birthday

North Dakota